28.8.17

Making a Respiratory System Model !

Respiratory System Model
       In my daughter's school, the teachers don't stress out the kids by giving marks or grades  for projects and that I guess makes it all the more relaxed and a fun learning experience for the children! My daughter loves to make 3 D models and dioramas for her school projects and really likes to put in a lot of work!
Lungs Model
 Though the topic was respiratory system , we decided to just concentrate on the parts beyond the trachea!
Respiratory System Model- Alveoli
        Though I know most of my blogger friends will be least interested in a detailed tutorial of how to make a model of the Respiratory system...sharing a few steps all the same as  a lot of folks do google up such topics. Hehe yes... my blog stats tell me  a lot of people come to my blog searching about various such school project topics!!]
Making the Lungs, Trachea and Bronchi
Lung Model
We used big sponges to make the lungs and used regular scissors to snip off the excess sponge and shape it. Our lungs are actually life size though simplistic in shape!
Lung Model
There was some flexible plastic piping at home and this was perfect to make the trachea and bronchi and it was also helpful to explain to my daughter about the cartilaginous tissue forming these tubes!
Trachea and Bronchi Model

 We used an adhesive called Fevibond to stick one short piece of the tubing to a longer piece and thence form the point of bifurcation of the trachea into the bronchi.
Respiratory System Model
It was super easy to insert the "bronchus" into each  sponge "lung" by simply twisting the pipe in and securing with fevibond glue.
Lung Model
The part my daughter enjoyed the most was painting the lungs!

Making the Air Sacs [Alveoli] 
Making a  Model of Alveoli
 Alveoli [ tiny air sacs] are the endpoint of the respiratory system where the gaseous exchange takes place and we used tiny styrofoam [thermocol] balls and light weight air-drying clay to make the bunches of alveoli!
Model of Alveoli
We used plastic straws to make the " bronchioles" which  led to the alveoli, poked the straws into balls of clay and stuck the thermocol balls onto the clay.
Model of Alveoli
Coming back to the lungs...here are the painted lungs.

Making a Lung Model
And here is the model after attaching the tracheo-bronchial tree!
Respiratory System Model
To add charm to the model, my daughter  die-cut glitter foam letters  to form labels for  the parts.
Respiratory System Model
She was so proud that amongst all the models and charts the children had brought, her science teacher chose to keep her model in the showcase of their science lab so that junior and even senior children could see it!
Supplies : Dies :  Spellbinders font one upper case , Spellbinders font one lower case,Spellbinders Labels 8

47 comments:

  1. Wow!! This is awesome Sonia!! Beautiful work Prisha!! You both are genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Berina it was not an easy project as the doctor in me kept obsessing about the anatomical details !!

      Delete
    2. This is awesome

      Delete
  2. A very inventive and great project Prisha !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a fantastic model. This is a beautiful piece of work, well done to your daughter for putting so much work and effort into this.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Sue...she had the most fun making the Lungs!!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Fabulous science project. Prisha, you must have learned so much while creating this project, not only about the human body, but about different crafting materials. It's an amazing creation - and I love the coloring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Donna...oh yes and the most challenging part about school projects is finding the right glue so that the whole thing lasts the journey to school and the inevitable inspection and prodding by curious little hands!

      Delete
  5. Your blog post caught my eye and I say Well Done on this science project. Very interestng and creative. Thank you for sharing your tutorial. I believe I may have just learned something about our lungs. Great Science Project...<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful to see the projects your daughter has made. Like the items she used. I was not good at science. I recall 8th grade we had to make a radio using a transistor and mine went missing. Since it was an expensive item it was difficult to tell my parents I needed another when mine went missing.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa my little girl is a hardworker and I too insist she gives her full effort when she does something. Oh must have been so tough on you when that happened. My kiddo's school has a policy of encouraging only simple items be used in school projects.

      Delete
  7. Great Job Prisha! I think it is a very good idea not to grade projects. I was like Prisha, I loved to make all sorts of 3-D dioramas, it just hurt so much when I would pour my heart and soul into a project and then not get the grade that I was expecting.

    Hugs,
    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Chriss grading on something like a 3 D project would be tough as I think it will be too subjective. My kiddo's school thankfully has quite a few admirable policies!

      Delete
  8. First time I've visited your blog - this is brilliant and fascinating to see how it was made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a super creation and such a great way to teach kids about the workings of the body, much more fun than reading about it in books xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. he he I had fun guessing what all you must have used for making this model !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! What an amazing project!! Huge congrats to Prisha for having her project chosen to be showcased - so deserved!! What a creative project this is!! Those lungs are fabulous!! And I so love seeing how it came together!! Have a great day, my friend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very impressed and such a brilliant job pn your dauighters model..I even learned something..great work.

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful project for you to do with your daughter! Fun AND educational! Have a great week my friend! Luv & Hugs. Hazel xx
    My Card Attic

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fabulous project Sonia, brilliantly detailed and great design - your daughter is very talented, she must take after you.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an Awesome project!! Very creative & Super fun too!
    Congrats to your daughter!!She should be very proud! and you too!
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia
    Crafting with Creative M

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, Sonia! Of course your daughter is proud for the super creation! I love it! It is ideal for school. I am sure it will help the students to understand and learn. Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun - can see the two of you all covered in paint and glue - the best medicine ever!!! I bet she gets an A+ on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic project parishes....loz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your daughter is one smart cookie! She is so creative! Please tell her that "Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Back to School” Challenge! Beautiful colors and design. Well done!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. The idea of making respiratory system is super cool. I will denifinelty teach this to my students

    ReplyDelete
  21. Back to my nursing days Doc, awesome creation.x
    [aNNie]

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant project and so much effort :)
    Really shows through
    Hugs
    Preeti

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow..wow..such a super cool model..


    really i love it dr.sonia ...and also i book marked it ..in future iam going to use your idea for my boys project workss...

    thanks for sharing this great work..

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so realistic, Sonia. The lungs have been painted to look almost real.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is PRETTY AWESOME!!! She is so clever and I am LOVING her project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW!!! You both always stunning me with your awesome 3D school projects! This is really fabulous! BIG congrats to Prisha!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow..this is an amazing school project..

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW!!! stunning work by both mom and daughter.

    hugs
    Meena

    ReplyDelete
  29. So creative and well explained project! This also reminded me of my school memories because I too made a chart on Respiratory System :)
    Great work Prisha and she is learning so beautifully from you, Dr. Sonia. You both rock together!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is amazing and totally hatts off to you for all the efforts !
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful project and very creative.Love it.

    Gr,Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great job Prisha, A+, Cheers Sonia I hope you are doing well

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is awesome!! I love how you used the sponge for the lungs! That is so creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh my goodness how awesome is this!! I love how you created a pair of lungs!! This wouldn't look out of place in a medical school it is so accurate!! WOW!! :-)

    My daughter was only saying yesterday how she was taught nothing in school about anatomy, I will show her this so at least she knows what the bronchial system is like :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Kids Vacation Challenge
    Luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your daughter is a lucky girl to have a Mum to help in her awesome makes for school, top marks for this me thinks.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  36. amazing school project...good job Prisha..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...